We all know that getting a good night's sleep can work wonders for our health and wellbeing. However, setting up a good nightly routine to relax and fall asleep can be one of the challenges. What is a good ritual to do before bed?
Recent discussions in health and wellbeing have suggested that doing certain techniques can make all the difference. Discover how to tap into a relaxing ritual to ease you into sleep using one of the trending health and wellbeing ideas.
Listed as a top holistic health trend for 2021 - EFT Tapping is one we were particularly intrigued about. EFT stands for Emotional Freedom Technique - A practice that utilises a combination of traditional Chinese acupuncture and psychology to create a powerful holistic therapy for dealing with stress in the mind and body such as anxiety, chronic pain, emotional disorders and weight control.
The technique involves tapping fingertips on certain Acupoints of your body while addressing negative emotions and thought patterns. As a kind of restorative, self-talk, cognitive therapy, it’s believed to help send signals to the brain, rewiring the way we think, respond and balance our inner energy.
The concept of creating a purpose or intent and then doing a physical action to acknowledge and reset could be just the right type of thing to do as part of a relaxing ritual.
What better time to incorporate a practice like this into your life than right before bed, before the time that your body revives itself for a new day.
Combining elements to form the ritual that works for you is as much a part of the experience as the ritual itself. If you’re not sure where to start, our designer Gabi shares her wind-down wisdom.
“For a really zen experience I like to use candlelight to start the wind-down process. This gets me focused, away from technology and gives me a calm feeling. I’ll then prepare a hot drink either a herbal tea or milk as I believe having something warm puts me into a state of relaxation. I usually add in a teaspoon of my Manukora MGO 850+ Mānuka honey as I know it is both a healthy alternative to sugar and has a slow-release energy that won’t affect my sleep.”
To better understand the EFT tapping technique Gabi incorporated it into her routine as follows:
- Switch off the lights.
- Light candles to create your night ambience
- Heat some milk and add a teaspoon of MGO 850+ Mānuka honey top with cinnamon for added spice
- Sit somewhere comfortable.
- Drink your warmed Mānuka infused milk
- Begin by stating your intention - your mind or body stress.
- On a scale of 1 - 10 state the level of your stress
- Start by tapping your fingertips on the side of your hand - the side known as the karate chop where your little finger is not your thumb.
- While tapping say 3 times “Even though I have this stress in my body, I love and accept myself.”
- Next tap two fingertips at the point your brow meets your nose for 5-7 times. Saying “This stress.”
- Move down the face tapping the temple where your cheekbone start and say “This stress.”
- Then tapping the front of the cheeks and say “This stress.”
- Then tapping between your nose and top lip repeating “This stress.”
- Then tapping between your bottom lip and chin and saying “This stress.”
- Then finally tapping just under the collar bones with all ten fingertips saying “This stress.”
- Take a deep breath in and release
- Blow out the candles and complete your regular bedtime routine.
Watch our Reel on Instagram to see more of our take on a basic tapping technique.
Learn more about GI and Mānuka honey in reference to energy release in our blog “How to sustain healthy energy with Mānuka Honey and the Glycemic Index”