- Determining the authenticity of your Manuka honey is crucial due to the increasing number of counterfeit products.
- For health-conscious consumers, traceability is becoming increasingly important so we know exactly where the food we eat comes from.
- There are various ways to determine the authenticity of your Manuka honey, such as the MGO content.
- At Manukora, each jar has a scannable QR code offering information regarding MGO levels, the beekeeper who cared for your honey, and more.
Why Is It So Important to Know Where My Manuka Honey Is From?
Like many branded consumer goods, honey has been the subject of fake or counterfeit products as suppliers look to make a quick buck. Manuka honey is no different.
As demand from customers around the world increases, knowing the product you just purchased is authentic Manuka honey is becoming increasingly important.
Thankfully, Manukora Manuka honey has unique sequential traceability for each and every product, so you can be sure your honey is authentic Manuka honey from New Zealand. The unique code is located on the lid of every honey jar and under the lid on our boxed product.
Overall, here are a few key things we think are important to know about your Manuka honey:
- It is authentic.
- It comes from New Zealand.
- You can trace it back to its source.
- It has the correct Manuka quality marks (MGO and / or UMF).
Below, we cover traceability in full and how to use the code on your product to find out more.
Traceability: A Consumer’s Choice
It is becoming increasingly important for producers to offer complete product traceability to their customers. Health conscious consumers it seems are particularly interested in understanding the origin of the products they purchase. In other words, the saying, “we are what we eat” is becoming top of mind amongst consumers.
Yet, Manuka honey is a product where origin and authenticity is especially important. Genuine, authentic Manuka honey can only come from New Zealand. The nectar collected from the New Zealand Manuka tree flower produces a honey that is unique only to this country.
Surprisingly, the New Zealand Manuka tree flowers for only 2 - 6 weeks in the summer. This offers a short window for the bees to harvest the nectar, making Manuka honey ultra-rare.
Why Is Traceability So Important for Manuka Honey?
Genuine Manuka honey hosts many health benefits that can only be accessed if the honey is authentic (meaning it's of New Zealand origin). In fact, there are a number of unique naturally occurring compounds that can only be found in Manuka honey.
One of these is called Methylglyoxal (MGO). MGO is responsible for the antibacterial properties and benefits that Manuka honey offers. Our customers use Manuka honey to support immune health and overall wellbeing. So, it is crucial that Manuka Honey is raw and carefully processed to retain the MGO content and preserve the beneficial natural nutrients.
You can read more about the benefits of Manuka honey here.
Manuka Honey Authenticity Markers
There are a few key markers that you should look for to ensure your Manuka honey is genuine, and can be traced back to its source in New Zealand. The presence of an MGO level and/or a quality mark called UMF should be present on your product jar lid label or inside the box lid.
A UMF grade is a quality mark that stands for Unique Manuka Factor. The UMF number tells you how potent the Manuka honey is and directly correlates to the amount of MGO present.
Manuka Honey MGO 600 UMF 16 is a testament to the high potency that Manuka honey can achieve. If you're looking for something different, the Trending Products section showcases a variety of popular choices among consumers.
Additionally, the Manuka Honey 20 MGO850 offers a higher concentration of MGO, catering to those who prefer a more intense experience. Beyond just the products, Manukora provides an extensive knowledge base on their website.
Articles like Raw vs Pure Honey offer insights into different honey types, while Does Honey Expire addresses common queries regarding honey's shelf life. For creative ways to enjoy Manuka honey, check out Savoring Manuka Honey: Ideas. Lastly, the Art of Ethical Beekeeping is a fascinating read for those interested in the sustainable practices behind Manuka honey production.
Every Manukora Manuka honey product states the MGO level and/or the UMF grade on the jar label. It’s hard to miss! These ratings have been approved by an independent laboratory that is certified by the Ministry of Primary Industries (MPI) of the New Zealand Government.
Learn more about what MGO and UMF mean here.
Unique QR Codes: Trace Your Manuka honey
We understand it’s important consumers know the origin and authenticity of their Manuka honey. So, we’ve implemented a special traceability system. You’ll find a QR code on your Manukora Manuka honey product, unique to each and every product we have ever produced.
When scanned by your smartphone camera (no special app needed), this code provides complete authenticity and traceability of your Manuka honey, right back to the beehive it came from.
We guarantee full traceability - from the hive to your hand
What Will I Find if I Scan the Unique Code?
- An authenticity tick (it is genuine Manukora Manuka honey)
- The QR Code is authentic (it hasn’t been copied and only one code exists)
- The batch number of your product
- The best before date
- The potency of the Manuka honey in your product
- A MGO or UMF certificate (a laboratory document confirming quality and authenticity)
- The location in New Zealand where your honey comes from (click on the map!)
- Place of manufacture
- All about Manukora
How Do I Use My Traceability Code?
- Use the camera on your smartphone to scan the QR on the lid
- Click the pop up link
- It’ll take you directly to a page of your Manukora product
- Scroll through to find all the information (You can click the google map link to find out the exact beehive location!)
- If you want, download the MGO certified results or UMF Certificate that will confirm quality and authenticity
Confidence in Traceability
We understand purchasing authentic New Zealand Manuka honey can be confusing. That’s why we offer complete traceability and transparency.. This way, you can be sure it’s genuine and you can access the health benefits that the nutrients in real Manuka honey can offer. From hive to hand, you’ve got all the information you need. If you need more, explore our blog further!