- Methylglyoxal (MGO) is a beneficial nutrient found in Manuka honey. The stronger the MGO, the higher the antibacterial effects.
- MGO play a pivotal role in determining Manuka honey's authenticity and potency.
- Decoding MGO levels on the label of your Manuka honey product can help you determine its potency and potential flavor.
- When buying Manuka honey, it pays to make informed choices so that you get an authentic product each and every time.
MGO Levels in Manuka Honey: A Comprehensive Buyer's Guide
Manuka honey has marked its place in the culinary world and wellness spheres—captivating palettes and enriching wellness routines. Originating from the nectar of the New Zealand native Manuka tea tree, this type of honey has been used for centuries by the indigenous Māori people. A key factor distinguishing Manuka honey from its counterparts is its unique Methylglyoxal (MGO) content—a compound acclaimed for its antimicrobial properties.
However, for a potential buyer navigating the intricacies of Manuka honey for the first time, understanding MGO levels can be confusing. So, in this article, we address why MGO levels matter and everything else you should know about this unique Manuka honey nutrient.
What is MGO?
Methylglyoxal (MGO) is a naturally occurring organic nutrient found in Manuka honey, known for its potent antibacterial properties. Surprisingly, this specific nutrient isn’t found in any other type of honey—just Manuka!
So, why is this the case? Well, Manuka honey is a monofloral honey. This means it comes from only one source of nectar, and this source is the Manuka tea tree. It’s the Manuka tea tree nectar that gives way to Manuka honey’s potent MGO content.
Simply put: The higher the concentration of MGO, the stronger the antimicrobial activity.
Beyond its renowned antibacterial effects, MGO is acclaimed for its anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. Inevitably, this can support overall wellness in various ways.
Furthermore, MGO also plays a pivotal role in the honey’s taste profile, influencing its richness, depth, and overall flavor complexity.
Why Do MGO Levels Matter?
The concentration of MGO in Manuka honey is a critical indicator of its potency. In fact, MGO levels are one of the ways in which Manukora certifies that its honey is real Manuka honey.
As mentioned above, a higher concentration of MGO means higher antibacterial properties and a more robust and rich flavor.
Research further links MGO with supporting:
Varied MGO levels offer consumers a range of options to cater to their specific needs and preferences. Those seeking Manuka honey primarily for its gourmet appeal may opt for lower MGO concentrations, such as Manukora’s MGO 200+, since heating the honey may deplete its beneficial nutrients.
Conversely, individuals intending to utilize Manuka honey for its beneficial nutrients may be more inclined to choose higher MGO concentrations, such as Manukora’s MGO 850+.
Decoding MGO Labels for Buyers
Manuka honey jars often state their MGO levels, such as MGO 200+, MGO 600+, or MGO 850+, right on the label. This serves as a quick reference indicating the honey’s potency and quality. Yet, for the average consumer, these numbers might not mean a whole lot. So, let’s take a closer look.
The MGO numbers are indicators of the Methylglyoxal (MGO) concentration of the honey, measured in mg/kg (milligrams per kilogram). A higher MGO number represents a higher concentration of Methylglyoxal.
Here’s a quick breakdown of common MGO levels and labels:
- MGO 100+: This is considered a lower MGO level, suitable for daily consumption and culinary purposes. It offers a distinctive Manuka flavor without being overly intense.
- MGO 200+: A medium level of MGO, this balances beneficial nutrients and flavor intensity. It is also often used for culinary purposes.
- MGO 600+: This level indicates a higher potency and is often chosen for its high levels of MGO.
- MGO 850+ and above: These are the premium ranges featuring high levels of MGO. This range is ideal for individuals looking to maximize the wellness benefits associated with this powerful nutrient.
If you’re still unsure what MGO level is right for you and your lifestyle, take the MGO quiz to uncover what level suits your needs the best.
Manukora's Commitment to Authentic MGO Labeling
Knowing the MGO levels of your Manuka honey is the first step toward determining its authenticity. It also indicates that the Manuka honey you purchase is of high quality.
At Manukora, every batch of our honey undergoes rigorous testing to ensure the accuracy of each MGO label. We grade each jar according to its MGO content.
In fact, for any jar purchased at Manukora, you can find a QR code. Upon scanning this code, you can view the third-party testing results associated with MGO and other beneficial Manuka honey nutrients. This code also offers information regarding the beekeeper who harvested your honey, providing you with as much transparency as possible.
Making Informed Choices as a Buyer
In today’s world of fake news, making informed choices has never been more paramount. Understanding the MGO labels on each Manuka honey product you purchase ensures you get the right potency and quality you deserve.
With that in mind, here are a few more tips for selecting the right Manuka honey:
- Assess your needs: Define your purpose for purchasing Manuka honey. If it’s for general wellness and culinary use, lower MGO levels like 100+ or 250+ may suffice. For more specific uses regarding Manuka honey’s beneficial nutrients, you may want to opt for higher MGO levels, such as 600+, 850+, or above.
- Read each label carefully: Look for certifications that authenticate the honey’s origin and quality. Certifications ensure that the product has been independently tested and verified for its MGO content and other quality parameters.
- Be aware of differing price points: Genuine, high-quality Manuka honey with high MGO levels tends to be more expensive due to its rarity and the intricate processes involved in its production and testing.
- Purchase your Manuka honey from a reputable brand: Do your due diligence. Research the brand before buying. This will help you make an informed choice and ensure you get high-quality Manuka honey every time.
Understanding MGO levels in Manuka honey is not merely about purchasing a premium product; it’s about making a health-conscious choice that aligns with one's goals and lifestyle.
The pinnacle of honey indulgence with Manuka Honey MGO1000, a testament to our commitment to superior quality. For the perfect serving, consider our Manukora Dose Spoon, designed to enhance your honey experience.
Our range doesn’t stop there; explore our trending products for more premium selections. Dive deeper into our world with July's Sweet Talks with Manukora, where we discuss everything from the intricacies of Manuka honey to tips like how to soften honey.
Curious about the fascinating world of bees? Our guide on what the Queen Bee does offers insightful knowledge. Finally, understand the differences and benefits between Manuka Honey vs Raw Honey to fully appreciate the unique characteristics of Manuka honey.
Genuine, high-quality Manuka honey, enriched with the right concentration of MGO, can be an excellent addition to any wellness routine. Plus, the creamy texture and delicious flavor of this raw honey is incredibly hard to beat.