- Manukora offers a wide range of Manuka honey, from lighter, less potent honey (lower MGO content) to bold, more potent honey (higher MGO content).
- Your family’s health goals can determine the correct Manuka honey product—for more intense wellness support, opt for a product with a higher MGO rating.
- Practical considerations like your family size, budget, and lifestyle can also help you decide on the perfect Manukora Manuka honey product for you.
Selecting the Best Manukora Manuka Honey for Your Family
Because Manukora is passionate about meeting the nutritional needs of people in all walks of life—from the energetic athlete to the family who need an immunity boost—we have a wide range of Manuka honey products to choose from. Yet, this might create some confusion. Which one is best for you and your family?
If you’re wondering about the answer to this question, this article is for you. In this guide, we help you decide which Manukora product is best suited to your family and your unique needs.
Understanding Manukora’s Manuka Honey Varieties
Honey is so much more than a golden liquid sweetener—although there’s no denying its deliciousness. Each batch of Manuka honey is different from the next, so Manukora offers a wide range of Manuka honey products that reflect this natural variation.
Manukora’s Manuka honey is rated by its MGO level—a powerful antibacterial and antimicrobial nutrient in Manuka honey. The MGO level indicates the potency of the wellness benefits in that specific jar or bottle of Manuka honey. This naturally affects the flavor of the honey, too. Manukora’s Manuka honey ranges from MGO 200+ to MGO 1123+.
Manukora also offers different formats of Manuka honey—it’s available in jars, squeeze bottles, and stick packets—to suit your specific needs and lifestyle.
The Significance of MGO Levels
Manukora’s Manuka honey is known as the Honey With Superpowers™ for a good reason! These superpowers are largely due to a variety of antioxidants, prebiotics, and the methylglyoxal (MGO) content in every jar of our Manuka honey. In particular, MGO—found predominantly in genuine Manuka honey from New Zealand—is a powerful antibacterial compound. The higher the MGO level, the more potent the honey.
If you’re wondering which MGO level would suit your family’s needs, here’s a quick summary of the different Manukora products and their benefits. You’ll notice that the wellness benefits naturally increase with the MGO content.
- Raw Manuka Honey 200+ MGO: This product contains the lowest MGO rating but still offers a daily dose of antioxidants, prebiotics, and clean low glycemic index (low GI) energy. This product would suit a healthy individual looking to enhance their general wellness.
- Raw Manuka Honey 600+ MGO: This richer Manukora product contains greater antibacterial nutrients and, therefore, offers additional immune support, in addition to antioxidants, prebiotics, and a healthy energy source.
- Raw Manuka Honey 850+ MGO: In addition to a healthy dose of powerful antioxidants, and clean low GI energy, this darker honey product supports the immune response and also promotes healthy digestion and overall gut health.
- Raw Manuka Honey 1000+ MGO: This bolder Manukora product offers a potent blend of antioxidants, prebiotics, and antibacterial nutrients. It helps maintain a healthy immune response and digestive health.
- Raw Manuka Honey 1123+ MGO: This rare and valuable concentration of MGO is the most potent Manukora Manuka honey available. It provides the maximum concentration of antioxidants, prebiotics, and antibacterial nutrients that together help maintain the immune response, digestive health, and a healthy inflammatory response.
Taste Profile Considerations
As the nutrient profile increases, the taste of the Manuka honey changes from light, sweet, and floral to a rich, darker caramel taste. All Manukora products are delicious but less mature palettes might prefer the less intense caramel flavor of the lighter Manuka honey.
To enhance your family’s wellness routine, you’ll need to balance the nutritional impact you desire with the taste experience that goes along with it. When in doubt, start with a lower MGO content and move to a higher MGO content over time.
Health Goals and Manuka Honey
It’s helpful to understand your family’s health goals when looking to include Manuka honey in their nutrition. Are there specific reasons you’re exploring Manuka honey? Understanding which potency of Manuka will meet your needs will give you peace of mind that you’ve spent your money wisely.
For general health and wellness, opt for a low to mid-range MGO content (MGO 600+)—this is more affordable yet still offers significant wellness support.
If there’s a greater need for wellness support, like immune support, it’s worth spending more on the more potent Manuka products (MGO 850+ - MGO 1000+).
If you’re still unsure about which Manuka honey product to choose, take this helpful quiz!
Practical Tips for Selecting the Right Honey
Your family’s needs and situation are unique. The following practical considerations may help you decide:
- How big is your family, and how much Manuka honey do you need? Most people can enjoy all its benefits from a single teaspoon a day. A larger squeeze bottle is the most practical choice for a large family.
- If you want to incorporate Manuka honey into your meals every now and then, a jar is a sensible choice.
- If your budget is your tightest constraint, choose the product that you can afford—even the lightest Manuka honey is chock-full of beneficial nutrients that support general well-being.
Incorporating Manuka Honey into Family Wellness Routines
Manuka honey is versatile and can be incorporated into your family’s wellness routine in a variety of ways. Here are just a few ideas.
- Breakfast with Manuka—it’s delicious in smoothies, drizzled on toast, or added to warm (not hot) tea.
- Bring out the spoonfuls of honey for a wellness boost when colds and flu strike—keep it tightly sealed when not in use
- Learn to cook with Manuka—it’s easier than you think and will quickly become a favorite go-to ingredient.
Remember: honey is not safe for children under a year old and should be used cautiously in cases of diabetes or insulin disorders due to its naturally high sugar content.
We’d love to hear how your family enjoys Manuka honey—the possibilities are endless!
Manuka honey is so much more than a delicious treat—it’s the most natural form of self-care Mother Nature can offer. For best results, choose the Manuka product that suits your family’s health goals—it’s a sweet way to help them thrive.
The glycaemic index of Manuka honey - Science Direct